Horwitz places eating on the edge in the context of the
American fast paced, action-packed lifestyle. In a society that embraces
demanding and hectic schedules, food has evolved to meet the needs of
contemporary culture. Starting with the idea of a TV dinner, the concept
evolved from the basis that watching TV was new and cool, or at least it was in
the fifties. Horowitz places an emphasis on eating in “timeless time”, where
shifting from occasions such as group or family dinners has led to the
development of more easy-to-access meals and snacks. Rather than taking the
time to cook and indulge in a meal, a large portion of Americans are beginning to
rely on snacks throughout the day to do away with hunger. The author's idea of an adapting and developing food culture is reflected through the way in which food, design and advertisement constantly strive to meet the demands of modern culture (Horowitz 42). That creative change is evident in the adaptive meals which are now offered on long-distance plane flights, such as foods catered to boost or lower your energy, or in the fresh fruits and vegetables that are now sent directly to the International Space Station. The idea of freezing food and dehydrating products is now reserved for the astronaut of past generations. The entirety of
Horowitz’s article, Eating on the Edge can be summed up the example he makes of
Americans eating on the International Space Station. When comparing the
American astronauts to their international counterparts, “Some American crewmembers
are content to ‘eat on the run’, and by themselves, whereas many European crewmembers
prefer eating a complete meal as a group” (Horwitz 44). Such a distinction between
cultures represents the various values that people embrace.
Eating on
the edge is a rather defining force in my life, as the amount of meals I have
time to eat in groups or with friends is at best, once a day. When time allows,
I rally some friends to go out and eat, either on campus or off campus. Between
my classes I often eat alone during random hours of the day, as my schedule so
permits. The majority of this time I spend multitasking between consuming food
and completing homework. It is pretty sad to some extent that the communal
gathering of friends and family seems only applicable to the history books. The
future seems to only gain momentum rather than lose it, and with that, the act
of eating will deteriorate into a time consuming process that must be addressed
while on the road or while working. I know I am guilty of such crimes, and every
time I sit down with friends and family not under the pressure of time
restraints, I can actually relax and embrace the moment before me. For so long,
eating was a staple in community affairs, as well as a unifying factor between
immediate and extended families. I know with my small extended family, the time
we do spend together is rare yet meaningful, making every family get together
all the more enjoyable.
I agree with you Stephen, I think that eating sometimes seems to be a secondary task to whatever else, whether it be homework or something else, we tend to eat meals while in a rush to finish other things.
ReplyDelete