A Small Woman in a
Large City
She used to
wage hours of war against the mixing container. Her in the long brown hair, the
sweet summer skirt and the white apron around her waist. New York’s heat would
take a toll against her in the kitchen, where 2nd Avenue’s breeze
consistently failed to air condition our apartment. It was like an oven some
days, yet she slaved over her fudge as if the world depended on it. She knew
something however that I didn’t know – she knew that fudge would bring smiles
to the faces of everyone she knew. She knew a secret about food that I still
cannot figure out. My mother could manipulate sweets to bring you the best
tasting desert in the world. I was only a kid then, maybe seven years old, but
her sweets never fail to bring delight - explosions in the mouth you could say.
Food never
was the concrete of our family like it was for some of my Russian and Italian
friends in Brooklyn. My mother would cook dinner for our family every night –
my sister, my father and myself. My dad wasn’t ever around though, so most of
the time it was just the three of us. Occasionally I would slip out and take a
stroll downtown with some friends, pretending we were were fancy businessmen
attending an upscale dinner. We never could afford anything more than a slice
of pizza and a Dr. Pepper. The price of Manhattan took a toll on our family in
those days, and it wasn’t until we left the city that my father’s work began to
pick up. But back to the pizza. New York style pizza wasn’t just any pizza, it
was that thin styled dough with the tomato and mozzarella that came from the
only home I ever knew, and that New York style pizza still makes by mouth
water. You were not content until the grease was dripping down your face and
your lips were puckered. Once you fold a pizza in half, you’ll never want to
eat it any other way.
Pizza
however wasn’t the only food that made my mouth water. My mother used to take
us out every now and again to a hole in the wall ethnic restaurant. She loved
taking us out, because she knew how much we loved it. That’s the kind of woman
she was; if we were happy, she was happy. We would take the seven train across
the East River, and into Queens we would wander, three small people walking in
one large city. We would stop by the Thai restaurants, and the Chinese restaurants,
the Moroccan cookhouses and the Middle Eastern falafel stands. New York was
never for a second short of diversity. When almost nine million people speak
over three thousand languages in five suburbs, you were guaranteed a run for
your money.
The food
from those areas brings me back to the time, the nineties that was, right
before Mayor Giuliani cleaned up the streets. The streets weren’t nearly as
safe as they are now, and I remember those sketchy train rides and
unpredictable bus stops where there was almost certainly one crazy person. I
personally loved meeting crazy people, but my mother, not so much. I still like
to pretend they weren’t crazy; they just had their own New York swag, they had
their own agenda. It is amazing how much changes over such a short period of
time.
My favorite
may have been going to Cooney’s Island in Brooklyn and eating those world
famous hot dogs. I would not recommend the rollercoaster after the hot dogs
though, being that it is the oldest wooden rollercoaster in the world, you may
not feel too hot afterwards. I don’t know if it was so much the hot dogs I
loved, or if it was the soft crashing of the waves against the shore. Those
were beautiful days, where the waves crashed softly against the shore and the
sun beat gently against my face. Perhaps it is the memories I hold of food that
brings me back to the moments that really mattered in my life - my mother’s
hand pressing against mine.
Even now, she remains nothing short
of a champion in the kitchen. She is the baker’s rival, a short woman with a
tough ego – not the sort of ego that drives you mad, but more of one that makes
you want to give her a hug every time you see her. The compassion in her heart
always gave you a new appreciation for the meaning of love, and that love
manifested itself in the tastiest of treats. That sweet soul cooked for hours
on end in the cramped, four by four space we called a kitchen. Yet deep down
inside, I know she helped make the world a more decent place to live in the
process.
My mother continues
to cook, however not like she used to. She is older now, and she has become
delicate and fragile with time. She no longer has kids to raise or a husband to
feed, but once a year I still check my mailbox around Christmas in hopes of
receiving that one white box of fudge with a golden ribbon sealing the edges.
It is a glorious package, one that causes the eyes and taste buds to glow in
content. Today when I see that box of fudge, my stomach churns and my heart
becomes anxious. It is nothing short of an experience, perhaps one I can share
with you some day.
No comments:
Post a Comment